Technology can be one of the most useful implementations to your business improving its processes and future proofing. Digital transformation shown through our previous article can highly improve your business processes from within and allow it to grow at a much faster and efficient rate. With this new digital age and advancement, businesses are beginning to use much more electrical equipment, with these changes in our digital age how important is electrical recycling for the environment and how does it benefit the IT industry?
By implementing electrical recycling in your business this can provide many benefits to not only you but the environment, these benefits can range from:
- Reducing landfill space
- Preventing toxic waste from leaking into the environment and affecting wildlife
- Reducing energy and manufacturing costs within businesses
- The reusing of old equipment to increase product longevity (Donate old and unused equipment to charity)
- Reducing water pollution
- Increases employment opportunities
- Offers cash benefits by receiving cash flow from older equipment instead of throwing it away
Advantages of working with an electrical recycling company
The benefits from recycling your electrical equipment make it a no brainer as an implementable task within your business processes. Not only, does electrical recycling provide benefits to the environment and economy of a country but it will also improve your company’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). By working with an electrical recycling company your business will receive a few advantages such as:
- Providing confidence that your e-waste is recycled to industry standards
- Removes the hassle of computer disposal, freeing up your time to concentrate on more critical business needs
- Reduces your company’s carbon footprint
- Provides opportunities to promote your environmental credentials (ISO 14001)
- Ensures secure data destructions to protect your customers’ privacy
As E-waste is a large part of the IT industry as products contain large amounts of toxic materials which can negatively impact our environment this shows us the importance of electrical recycling and how it is crucial to implement systems within businesses to incentive recycling and make it part of their day-to-day processes. Systems such as the ISO 14001 can help organizations to commit to these practices and improve businesses from within.
What is the ISO 14001 and how can your business benefit from it
The ISO 14001 is an internationally agreed standard that sets out the requirement for an environmental management system (EMS). This means that it helps organizations improve their environmental performance by being more efficient with the use of their resources reducing waste, this then allows them to gain a competitive advantage whilst gaining the trust of stakeholders.
Environmental systems such as the ISO 14001 help organizations identify, manage, monitor, and control their environmental issues in a holistic manner, taking the whole business into account when making decisions. The attractiveness of ISO 14001 comes from its flexibility, this system is suitable for organizations of all types and sizes, private, non-profit, or governmental. It requires that any organization considers all environmental issues when relevant to their operations, these can range from, air pollution, water and sewage issues, waste management, soil contamination, climate change mitigation and adaptation and resource usage and efficiency.
By implementing the ISO 14001 framework this will allow your business to use its policies increasing its overall reputation leading to a great number of benefits such as:
- Showing that you demonstrate compliance with current and future statutory and regulatory requirements
- Increase leadership involvement and engagement of employees within your business
- Improve the company’s reputation and the confidence of the stakeholders through strategic communication
- Achieve strategic business aims by incorporating environmental issues into business management
- Providing a competitive and financial advantage through improved efficiencies and reduced costs such as electrical recycling
- Encourages a better environmental performance of suppliers by integrating them into the organizations business systems
As it can be seen there are many benefits of electrical recycling for the environment within the IT industry, just showing its importance to not only the environment but to businesses which use them. The addition of a well-built recycling structure combined with implemented ISO 14001 policies can greatly improve your businesses efficiency and help reduce your carbon footprint whilst increasing stakeholder relationships.
Through all the benefits shown, we have created a guide of all electronics your business should consider recycling:
- Large household appliances – fridges, microwaves, dishwashers
- Small household appliances – toasters, clocks
- IT and telecommunications equipment – personal computers, copying equipment, telephones
- Consumer equipment – radios, televisions, camcorders
- Lighting Equipment – fluorescent tubes, lightbulbs
- Electrical and electronic tools – drills, saws
- Monitoring and control equipment – smoke detectors, thermostats
If you are interested in Electrical Recycling within Edinburgh to help your business, we have provided a map with the help of Recycleyourelectricals pinpointing all nearby recycling locations in the city. If you are not located in Edinburgh, you can access the website and add your location to find other recycling facilities near you.
At Texaport, we understand the importance of these advancements, and we work with our clients to put a reliable system in place to improve their business efficiency. Our team has a wide range of IT knowledge and remains acquainted with the movements in the IT industry. Find out more here.